Tom's Land Rover Defender 90 300Tdi Station Wagon - Disasters/Repairs:

Owning a 90 requires either money for repairs or some skill with a spanner, often both in fact... I started with neither, but my tool kit and know how is slowly growing. I would still describe myself as an absolute novice but I've learnt allot already. This documentation of the repairs I've done will no doubt appear familiar to many Defender owners.

Many thanks to my father for his priceless help and motivation when repairing my 90.

<More to come and some pics>

Wheel Bearing:

The Left front wheel bearings are on their way out and I have booked the truck in to the usual garage to have them renewed for 70 more than if I  had time to do them myself.

New Track Rod:

Whilst at North Yorkshire Off Road with my father, I was urged by said parent to attempt a very steep decline at the very bottom of the site. I landed at the bottom of this long and steep hill with my front wheels taking me in different and unrelated directions. This was all due to my inexperience; I had caught my right front wheel on the bank on the way down and it had bent the track rod to 90 degrees. Anyway I had my tools (learned that lesson early) and attempted to remove the track road to drag it up to the house, once the nuts were off it should come off but didn't as it was rusted in position. I trekked up to the house for a big hammer, which did nothing. I therefore trekked again and this time the (luckily) very helpful site owners turned up a bolt remover specifically for rust LR's. Basically its a thumb - screw for bolts and once tightened in position each side of the track rod came out with a BANG. Track rod over shoulder I therefore headed for the house again where we sledgehammered the bar straight (ish) with help from Owen the site owner. Once straight I had to make the not inconsiderable journey back to the 90 to re- fit the bar using the Hi-Lift to re-align the wheels. Considering this was all done on a hillside in the mud, I was quite proud of myself. Fitting the new track rod.

New Steering Box and Pump:

A leak appeared on the input shaft of my power steering box in August 06, which gradually got worse until it had spat most of its oil. I bought the relevent seal kit from a dealer after several attempts and having to explain the concepts of an older Land Rover and that one cold be G reg AND 300TDi on more than one occasion. Needless to say this seal kit was both a bastard to fit and had no discernable effect on the leak other than to perhaps increase its vigour. To be fair, on stripping it down we found that the faces where the leaky seal fitted were damaged and the kit MAY have worked in other cases. So I lived with this for a while until one day a klunk alerted me to the fact that one of the power steering pump's mountings had sheared. I booked the truck into Land Rover Services in Hull to have them replace the pump as I had neither the time or the will to fix more steering issues. They did a good job, however I ran out of money before they could fit a new steering box, so I bought a reconditioned unit and fitted this myself.

Alternator:

Following the event in July 06, my alternator ceased to function. After a week or so of jump/bump starts and resigning myself to buying a new one for allot of money (student remember) I decided that as a sensitive piece of electronics I could do no better than to remove it from the vehicle and run a hose pipe through it. After a few minuets of muddy water emerging it ran clean and still soaking wet I re-fitted it in order to blow my electrics. When started however the truck jumped to life and had produced electricity perfectly since.

Home | Mods | Off-Road | Repairs | contact:  Tom@danjira.com